Saturday, June 6, 2009

Peace Like a River--Lief Enger


When I started this book I was skeptical about how the author was going to convince me as a reader that the main character's father was capable of miracles. Without going into my personal religious beliefs, and concentrating on my reaction to the book and the remarkable things that Leif Enger does in it let me just say that when something miraculous, something that defies the laws of gravity, does occur near the beginning that the author made this reader believe it. This novel is good on so many levels that it's hard to know where to start with it except that it occurs to me that maybe one of the reasons it resonates so strongly with me is that my parents were raised in the Midwest, and though I was raised elsewhere, I carry many of those values with me. This is just a super book. And everyone should read it. And always in my mind, this book is related strongly to Plainsong by Kent Haruf. There's a sweetness to it and the sense that even though it comes out of someone else's brain that it is a true story. Or perhaps it contains truths within it and so feels that way. Or perhaps it's just because the covers have the same tones as far as color, but I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment